So, originally that new trick was supposed to be the "I don't have a uterus anymore trick" but apparently Scout decided she wanted to do something else at the last minute. Yes, she was supposed to be spayed today. We took her to the vet ~8am and dropped her off. Around 2:30 they called us:
Is this the Carosinos?
Yes?
We had a problem with scout today...
Ummm?
Don't worry, she's fine now, she had just stopped breathing. But every thing's fine now.
Yeah, instead of getting spayed, Scout decided to learn how to play dead instead. Thank god they had already hooked her up to an IV/monitor and they saw her pO2 levels dropping and got her back up immediately. Needless to say, Reagan and I were thrilled... the vet reassured us this was normal, well it was a known but rare response, and I spoke with them for a while about what happened and why they thought it did. They seem to know their stuff, but I just had a bad feeling about this. I kept worrying about it all last night and I asked them when we dropped her off about how routine this procedure is and how there is essentially no risk. I guess my gut response was right. They assured and reassured me that she only missed 1 or maybe 2 breath cycles and her heart never stopped beating, so truly, I believe she will be fine.
After asking them more questions than they probably would've preferred. I brought Scout in to see Reagan at work after I picked her up, and besides Scout being a little out of it things seem to be ok. She just has a shaved tummy, which luckily I've managed to convince Scout is the hot new trend and all the 3 month old Westies are doing it. We're bringing her back in after Christmas to do some blood work to see if she what drug she was hypersensitive too and then they'll spay her on the 10th using just gas (O2/Isoflourane), which should she should be fine with.
Oy. What fun.

2 comments:
Oh my goodness, I'm so glad she's ok!
scary!
I'm glad that Scout is ok. I can't wait to see her soon.
Post a Comment