Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Reagan!

First off, Happy Birthday to my beautiful wife Reagan, who had to tolerate me staying up till 4am last night "studying"...which actually meant studying/baking her a cake. It is hard to be secretive in a tiny one bedroom apartment. None-the-less it was worth it this morning when I was taking my time waking up and I think she was getting a little annoyed...and then she opened the fridge and saw her cake. Hah! Anyway, Happy Birthday Reg.

Oh man... So it has been since early May since I last updated. So much has happened since then. We've been busy little bees, that's for sure. I'll start with the exciting news, Reagan was offered and accepted the head teacher position in the toddler room at her work. A position she, though she won't admit it, definitely deserved. I think she is really happy with it. Last night she was saying she had no idea she could love so many people so much and how much joy it brings her to work with them everyday. (Which is saying a lot being that running a room of toddlers isn't exactly a day on the beach!) Reg also met a fairly active local artist and has been doing some glass working on campus. With her new position and new schedule, she'll have "more hours in the day" or at least daylight and she is going to turn that into positive focus on her art.

I've been keeping fairly busy myself. In fact, I'm sad to admit it, but if Reagan doesn't update this, I may not be updating it for another month. I have finals this coming week and then on June 27th my written qualifying exam where I will hopefully move to the level of PhD candidacy. Some people have said to start studying in January (too late) others seem to think if you did well in the classes you'll do ok. I'll probably spend the next couple of weeks with my nose in my books. (I have three thick binders stuffed to their brims with notes. Physically there is no way it will fit in my head!) Second to that I have a pilot study starting this next week which should run until the week before vacay time in July. Around that time I'll have finalized the exposure scenario for the second study taking place in August/September. It seems every time I get settled on a new idea...another interesting angle pops up. I'm struggling to keep my head above water on the current science and developments while acquiring the background knowledge I'm missing as well. In fact the reason I am writing this is due to the fact that I just finished spending out the remainder of my budget (research funds provided by the grants I was awarded), which expires very soon, and I have false sense of security and euphoria surrounding me at the moment since getting that accomplished while making sure I purchased items I would actually use and won't regret in three months.

Ok, now that you know the deal for the next month or so. In the past month lots of stuff has been happening, some of the highlights though were seeing Andrew and his family when they came down for Pac-10 crew races. Which they won! No big deal... (Nationals this weekend...good luck Beats!) Jon, Barbara and Kelsey also came into Davis the night before and they got to check out the downtown eat some delicious grub at Burgers and Brew.

We also headed up to Washington for Josh's commissioning into the Navy and to visit our family on Mother's Day. We made the trek up first to Pullman where we met up with Scott and Chelsea and then headed up to University of Idaho. I have to admit, I didn't expect that much but U of I has a gorgeous campus. The ceremony was very nice and it was awesome to see Josh commissioned. We got to hang out with Josh, Scott, and Chelsea and celebrate for the rest of the evening until we had to leave. Funny thing being, as we left, Reagan and I agreed we were both hungry. We had a gift card for Jack in the Box...something I usually wouldn't turn down, but we did anyhow. Scott about 3 minutes later went to that very same Jack in the Box and spent the next 12 hours visualizing his digestive tract. Poor Scott...I have to admit though, with our 12 hour drive ahead of us, I was really thankful we didn't go there!

The following Sunday we met up with both of our families in Richland including Reg's grandparents. It was really awesome of everyone to come over just to see us and we really enjoyed hanging out and feasting with everyone. It will be nice to one day be less than 12 hours away.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I need to run. Reagan said she was planning to update next so hopefully it won't be so long! Take care!






No comments: