So last night, Reg and I had Jason and Kristine (two of our friends from the program) over for Indian food. It was awesome. Reg made some saffron basmati rice, butter chicken, and curry vegetables. Mmmm delicious. We usually buy some garlic naan to go with it from World Market, but the other weekend I was reading through my Steven Raichlen BBQ books and I found a recipe for making naans on a grill. So we made homemade garlic naan last night too. It was so easy and so freaking delicious...the only problem being that we made twice the naan we usually buy and ate all of it but the two pieces left here that I just photographed. Man that was delicious...
Ok, so the naan is all gone. Those weren't even the best two pieces. Anyway it has been a while since I've posted, my apologies. Things have been really hectic, in fact I have another exam on Tuesday but I've been meaning to post up for a while about Meg and Steve's visit on their trip through Cali. They came down and stayed with us for the weekend and we got to check out Berekely (including Tilden Park which we've posted about before) and showed them around Davis, ate some food, drank some wine, and played some guitar hero. We're really glad they came down, it was a blast.
Josh also got messed up by the airlines and lucky for him, had a layover in Sacramento so he stayed Friday night with us. It was really good to see him again.
PICNIC DAY 2008
So this is a really big deal here in Davis. Apparently it is the largest student run event in the US. Basically it was what it sounds like, an Ag-School having a big picnic. There is a battle of the bands, a big parade through town, food stands everywhere, and tons of exhibits (it is also the school's open house so it has a bunch of buildings open and such.) It also is an Ag-school after all, so there is the chance to milk a cow OR a goat, visit all the animal facilities, and other aggie stuff. Davis also shows its obsession with dogs (which is awesome) with such events as the Dachshund Derby (it sounds like what it is), Jack Russel Terrier races as well, sheep dog trials (actually pretty cool and impressive), and pretty much 100% dog freedom so lots of people bring their dogs to picnic day as well. It was pretty fun and cute, I mean, in big California, Davis is definitely still a nice, small little town with all of the requisite quirks that give small towns their unique character.
P.S. We are hopefully moving into a two-bedroom place on the other side of Davis next September, so people staying will be much more comfortable for them. We're at the top of the list and have an "in" with the manager, so hopefully, hopefully it will work out. Well see....

1 comment:
I want a dog so I can take it to events like that. Hopefully next spring once we're married and settled and back from our honeymoon in March. LOVELY!!!
Naan, never had it. Guess I'll have to try it.
Post a Comment