Friday, March 28, 2008

LIVE from the tropics, Spring Break Update!!!

Welcome to our "live from the tropics of Seattle, Washington blog update!" Yes, it's a balmy 34* and it is snowing. I can't really believe it, this is such bizarre weather. We expected leaving the 70s of Davis to return to slightly cooler weather, but it is almost April after all, it can't be too bad. What a crazy spring break this has been...

Besides the crazy weather we've been running all over town trying to maximize our time and visit as many friends and family as possible. Sadly a week alone just won't do it, but in a way we're grateful to have that problem albeit sad that we won't be able to see everyone.

Reagan flew up last Friday and I flew up the Monday prior. I was in town initially for the Society of Toxicology national conference (SOT) which, myself included, created an influx of around 7,000 toxicologists. This made for an overwhelming conference with 6,999 people who are way smarter than me! The conference is crazy with hundreds of posters being switched out every morning and afternoon (think science fair, but nobody studies how Mozart effects plant growth--but topics such as enzyme isoform upregulation, pharmacodynamics of various drugs/chemicals, and pretty much anything else you can think of.) There are also symposiums running daily presenting research topics and new developments in the field. And I can't forget the giant room of companies attempting to recruit new clients. Imagine 30 foot displays, giant flat screen TVs, and well dressed people trying to lure you in with multiple promotions from free demo assays to free iPhones and Xbox 360s. Throughout the conference I was also able to meet up with a lot of my current faculty and some old faculty/mentors/co-workers from the northwest. It was really nice to see some familiar faces and get to catch up on what everyone was doing.

Additionally, my original plan was to meet up with some of my old friends in the evenings thus maximizing the visit. However, I'd had a final on Monday morning (the day I flew out), and a huge research paper to finish for school by Friday, not to mention the meeting every day, and my first-ever migraine which lasted almost a week! So, it was SOT and homework all week. I'm still glad I came as seeing my old friends and colleagues at SOT was worth the trip in and of itself, not to mention the new contacts and research ideas I picked up at SOT.

Before this crazy snow set in we were able to enjoy the company of many of our good Seattle friends, and get in quality time with both sides of the family. On Saturday the Runyons had my family (parents, brother, grandparents) over for a pre-easter feast. We attended Holy Innocents for Easter service, and split up the holiday between the families- hanging out with everyone and eating copious amounts of ham.

I went to the Sonics game on Monday thanks to Kevin, Aunt Jan, and Tristan (who just recently got engaged to Keayleen! Congrats!) We had some awesome seats and the Sonics really turned it on and beat the Blazers which meant we also got to see UW alum, Brandon Roy play. It was a really good time. We've also ventured downtown a few times, shopped at Pike Place (and felt like tourists for the first time), seen the Louvre Rome exhibit at the SAM, played some golf, and visited Katie's firm on the 55th floor of the Columbia Tower (wowie!). Scout got her first haircut and we've visited lots of friends and family! It has been a fun trip, and I hope the weather picks up some (Andrew has his crew race tomorrow morning and SEATAC better be clear and operating smoothly!).

We're hoping next time venture north...the snow will be gone!

Easter Morning with the Runyons


Easter Dinner with the Carosinos


Katie and Uncle Steve's Soccer Game at 9pm!!!














DeLaurenti's for lunch and gelato for dessert at Pike Place Market with Reagan's Rome girls

The UW girls.

Scout got a haircut! (Ok so you can't really see the difference but she actually looks like a Westie now.)

The "girls"

Katie and Steve's team won, 2-0.

No comments: